Town of Freeport

Q. Where may I find Town Ordinances?
A. The Ordinances are available on this webpage and at Town Hall.

Q. What type of permits are required and issued by the Code Office?
A. In addition to issuing all land use and construction permits, other permits issued by this Department include, but are not limited to: plumbing permits, septic permits, peddler's permits (on private property), sign permits, directional sign permits, banner permits, and temporary activity permits.

Q. When is a building permit required?
A. Building permits are required for any structural work or change of use. A permit may also be required for building alterations. Always check with the Codes Officer prior to starting a construction project of any size.

Q. How long does it take to get a building permit approved?
A. Once a complete application packet is submitted, a residential building permit is usually issued within a week and sometimes even sooner. Commercial building permits may take up to two weeks.

Q. When is an electrical permit required?
A. An electrical permit is required when any new wiring is done.

Q. When is a plumbing permit required?
A. A plumbing permit is required for any water or waste piping. A permit is not required to change a fixture such as a faucet.

Q. Does the Town limit the number of building permits issued each year?
A. No, at this time there is not limit per year.

Q. Does the Town have Impact Fees?
A. Yes, the Town does have a development Impact fee. This fee is charged for all new construction over 1,000 square feet and for the construction of any new road. Please see the Fees and Fines Schedule (under Forms and Applications, above) to review the current fees.

Q. When and how should I call for an inspection?
A. Required inspections are indicated on the building permits. Call the Codes Office to schedule an inspection (865-4743, ext. 102).

Q. How much lead-time is needed for an inspection?
A. For Building and Plumbing inspections allow one day. For electrical inspections allow two business days.

Q. When is a certificate of occupancy required?
A. A certificate of occupancy is required to occupy any new space or for a change of use. Please refer to the Certificate Of Occupancy Checklist (under Forms and Applications, above) to see what is required for a C.O. to be issued.

Q. What do I do if I don't agree with a decision of the Codes Enforcement Officer?
A. Any decision of the Codes Enforcement Officer can be appealed to the Board of Appeals within 30 days of that decision.

Q. How can I find a licensed site evaluator to design a septic system for me?
A. Please visit the State's website for a downloadable list.

For more information, see the Code Enforcement web page.