Town of Freeport

Q. How do I obtain a “Burning Permit” and what can I burn?
B. Burning Permits must be obtained in order to have an open burn in your yard of leaves, brush, or scrap wood. You MAY NOT burn trash, or other illegal material. Burn Permits may be obtained for FREE on the day of the burn at the Public Safety Building 7 days a week from 8am to 4pm or online at for a fee of $7

Q. Does the Fire Department fill swimming pools or backyard ice rinks?
The Fire Department does NOT fill pools or ice rinks due to the liability. However you may call a local water company or pool company for service.

Q. Does the Fire Department allow people to Tour their building and the trucks?
A. The Fire Rescue Department allows the public to stop in 7 days a week between 8am and 4pm (during open office hours). Our personnel would be happy to show you our station and apparatus, as long as they are not on a call for service. If you are bringing a large group or school group, please call ahead to schedule this so that we may be prepared for your arrival.

Q. I heard I can have a Birthday Party at the Fire Station?
A. Freeport Residents can schedule a Birthday Party for any Saturday or Sunday from 1pm to 3pm. We do not charge a fee, but ask for a donation. There is a limit of 15 kids, and there must be adult supervision provided at all times. We provide the “birthday child” a ride in the Fire truck at the end of the party!

Q. What codes are required by the Fire Department for businesses and building?
A. The Town of Freeport has adopted the NFPA 101 Life Safety Codes for all business and residential buildings. The Fire Department conducts annual inspections of all businesses in Freeport to assure that these codes are met for the safety of our citizens and visitors.

Q. How do I join the Fire Rescue Department?
A. Applications are available outside the front office Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm. All applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age and have a High School Diploma or equivalent, and no criminal record. We also offer a Junior Explorer Program for those ages 14 to 18 years old. All members are paid on a per-call basis. You must be a member of the Department in order to participate in our “Per-Diem” schedule.

Q. How do I call for an Emergency in Freeport?
A. Dial 911 from your phone. Be prepared to give your name, location and the nature of the emergency so that our dispatchers may send the appropriate services as quickly as possible.

Q. I heard you have a non-emergency transportation program? And does our insurance cover that?
A. Freeport Fire Rescue has ambulances and staff available to transport Freeport Residents and local facility patients to the Hospital, Doctors office, or for diagnostic testing. The patient must not be able to travel by taxi or car due to their condition in order for insurance to cover the cost of the ambulance transport. Please feel free to call our billing office at 865-3421 for further questions.

Q. Does the Fire Department conduct Chimney and Woodstove Inspections?
A. The Fire Department WILL conduct a Woodstove Inspection for proper placement in your home. We can also provide a “Courtesy” inspection of your chimney; however we do NOT provide a formal letter for your insurance company due to liability issues. We can make recommendations to the home owner.

Q. Does the Fire Department Burn Buildings or Fields?
A. For a fee, the Fire Department can burn down a building that a resident wishes to have demolished. Fees depend on the size of the structure. Please contact the Chief for a site estimate for burning. Due to the number of requests, and the limited amount of personnel, the Fire Department does NOT burn fields.

Q. Does Freeport Fire Rescue provide CPR training for the public?
A.We have CPR certified instructors available to provide training for groups of 2 or more people. We can provide the training here at the station or at your location (for groups of more than 5). The cost is $25 - $35 per person. Please call to schedule your CPR class. We do not have regularly scheduled classes open to the public at this time.

We would like to remind all residents and businesses to visibly display their Building numbers in order for the emergency personnel to quickly and efficiently expedite services. The number can be located on the house or mailbox.

For more information, check out the Fire Department webpage.