Town of Freeport

Q. How do I obtain a MARRIAGE license?
A. Maine residents must apply in the town/city where they reside. The bride and groom must fill out forms in person at the Town Hall. If the parties reside in separate Maine towns, they may apply in either community. The license is valid for a period of 90 days from the date intentions are filed. The ceremony may be performed in any town or city in the State of Maine.

Out-of-state residents may apply in any Maine town/city. They may then have the marriage ceremony in any town/city in Maine. The license is valid for a period of 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.

If either of the parties has previously been married, they must present the clerk with a certified copy of the divorce judgment ending the prior marriage or death certificate.

Q. What HUNTING/FISHING license does the Town issue?
The Town issues all hunting and fishing licenses available from the Inland Fish and Wildlife Department to Maine Residents only.
Out-of-State residents may obtain hunting and fishing licenses at L.L. Bean. To buy a license on-line and for complete information on all aspects of hunting and fishing in Maine, as well as links to all rules, schedules, lotteries, and related news Click Here.

Q. What information do I need to provide in order to obtain a hunting license from the town for the first time?
A. A firearms hunter safety course card must be presented when obtaining an adult firearm license for the first time (age 16 or older). If the hunter has not held an adult license since January 1, 1976, a firearm hunter safety course is required. An archery safety course card is required when obtaining an adult archery license for the first time. If the hunter has not held an adult license since January 1, 1980, an archery safety course is required. At the age of 70, a lifetime license may be purchased for a one-time fee of $8.00

Q. When do I need to license my DOG?
A. Dog licenses are required for all dogs who are six months and older. A rabies certificate and proof of spaying or neutering must be presented when applying for this license. All dog licenses expire December 31 of each year. Late fees are charged for renewals of dog licenses after January 31st.
You may also Register your dog online.

A rabies clinic is held every January in the Town Hall and is open to anyone, regardless of residency. Any animal may be vaccinated at the clinic. Clinics are also held several times a year at Coastal Humane Society in Brunswick. For dates and more information, call them at 725-5051 or visit them at their website.

For more information contact the Town Clerk’s Office by Email.